This blog is for and about the Webster family. Each of us want to make choices every day that will result in optimal health and fitness. We represent different generations and different places in life - from empty-nesters to young families to students. Our health goals are as varied as we are, but we want to have a common place to post our progress and our challenges. We will be accountable to each other - to provide support, design incentives, share information we come across, and in general cheer each other on and celebrate our steps toward fitness! If anyone happens upon this blog and is inspired to be more fit and healthy that is icing on the cake. So here we go!

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Kettlebell

Tyler brought his 'smaller' 26 lb.kettlebell home for Christmas to show me.  I was entranced by the graceful movements of working out with it.  Even though I could only swing it about 3 inches from my knee caps I could feel my abs tightening, my arms and legs working - fun!  So I purchased a modest 15 lb kettlebell, which I could actually swing as high as my head, and worked out with it last evening.  "Worked out" is code for 'stumbled around awkwardly'.  I proudly finished 5 minutes of a 15 minute workout and rested for the remainder of the evening.
Next day assessment:
1.  Arms: sort of sore
2.  Abs: sore if I really, really concentrate, but probably only in my imagination
3  Legs:  SORE.  My trusty legs which carry me up and down hill with postman-like dedication while taking our puppy for walk every evening are sore!  I guess climbing hills does not require the same muscles as squats and lunges....sort of sad that 5 minutes could produce this level of discomfort however!

Tomorrow evening will 'work out' again and also begin yoga. I am thinking I might need to sneak in an exercise DVD as well.  So much fun, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment