This blog is for and about the Webster family. Each of us want to make choices every day that will result in optimal health and fitness. We represent different generations and different places in life - from empty-nesters to young families to students. Our health goals are as varied as we are, but we want to have a common place to post our progress and our challenges. We will be accountable to each other - to provide support, design incentives, share information we come across, and in general cheer each other on and celebrate our steps toward fitness! If anyone happens upon this blog and is inspired to be more fit and healthy that is icing on the cake. So here we go!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kathy- Reality Check

I am Biggest Loser fan - and this season is shaping up to be a good one.  The last episode was rather a reality check for me in a sort of subtle way.  It happened when the doctor was talking to Sarah.  Turns out she has the biggest percentage of body fat of anyone on the show this season.  Evidently she was in an accident and has not been very physically active.  As a result she has lost a large amount of muscle mass and has a very low metabolism rate. This struck a cord with me.  While I am not 58% body fat, I do have a very sedentary desk job.  I do not eat a large amount of calories a day and yet I struggle with my weight, gaining very easily and losing with extreme difficulty. This leads me to believe that I do not have a very vigorous metabolism rate.  The doctor told Sarah she would have to exercise 90 minutes a day for the rest of her life.  Wow. What the take home message is for me is, if I really, truly want to be trim and fit, I need to get a bit more serious about it.

I am not going to make any huge, drastic changes to my current plan but I am going to ramp up the cardio from 30 to 60 minutes a day.  To accomplish this I have a new rule:  No television without at least 2 miles on the treadmill and I will do a bit of interval training while on the treadmill by varying it with speed and incline.  For weight training I will continue with my kettlebell swing challenge and for flexibility will continue with yoga. If I don't get results with this I will continue to intensify things until I do. Maybe by the time the challenge is over I will finally have things figured out!  Hope things are going well for the rest of you - are you out there?  Somewhere?

1 comment:

  1. I love The Biggest Loser too! Steve and I watch while we eat.... hahaha What I have been doing to keep myself going is to focus on the feeling after a workout. So good, there is definetely a spring in my step when I leave the gym. Katie

    ReplyDelete