This blog is for and about the Webster family. Each of us want to make choices every day that will result in optimal health and fitness. We represent different generations and different places in life - from empty-nesters to young families to students. Our health goals are as varied as we are, but we want to have a common place to post our progress and our challenges. We will be accountable to each other - to provide support, design incentives, share information we come across, and in general cheer each other on and celebrate our steps toward fitness! If anyone happens upon this blog and is inspired to be more fit and healthy that is icing on the cake. So here we go!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kathy - Motivation

I think it is pretty hard to keep motivated when you don't see much movement on the scale.  It seems to me that the inch you lost is muscle gain - muscles are leaner than fat and heavier.  Muscles also burn more calories than fat so you are gradually tipping the ratio in favor of a better calorie-burning body.  It might help you exercise consistently if you tell yourself you are changing the composition of your body.  Don't know if you have had a chance to check out any of the blogs I listed, but the Faith, Fitness, Fun blog has quite a bit about motivation, which might be helpful.

For me, I am pretty motivated right now.  I am sick and tired of carrying around this extra flab.  I want to be trim and fit and I am tired of messing around.  I AM going to lose 10 lbs.  I have only lost 2 lbs since the challenge started, which is discouraging, but I am continuing to adjust so I can get the results I want.  I now take the beast for her tromp plus spend some time on the treadmill every evening (just about)  For breakfast I am only having a green smoothie, no hot cereal. Supper continues to be only plant-based:  a large baked sweet potato with a little salt, or a bowl of pinto beans smothered in salsa, or a couple baked Yukon Gold potatoes and a side of green beans or peas. I have been battling a bout of depression the last couple days.  I don't know why but have just been feeling listless - it really helps to go for a walk or hop on the treadmill.  I am considering adding in a walk over my lunch break.  I just need to plan ahead and make sure to bring walking shoes, etc. to work.

Hang in there Brooke - I am so proud of how you are working through your times of dragging.  Is there another video you could challenge yourself with?  Maybe do a 30-day challenge with one video at a time...?  Exercise videos are really not terribly expensive - maybe get the Biggest Loser Boot Camp series and do each one for a month. Check out the offerings on Amazon and see what they have....

PS:  I have recently discovered Greek yogurt - it is rich, sweet, creamy and yummy!  It helps satisfy my dessert cravings and only has around 120 calories.  It really tastes like a decadent dessert!

Courage to all who journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment