This blog is for and about the Webster family. Each of us want to make choices every day that will result in optimal health and fitness. We represent different generations and different places in life - from empty-nesters to young families to students. Our health goals are as varied as we are, but we want to have a common place to post our progress and our challenges. We will be accountable to each other - to provide support, design incentives, share information we come across, and in general cheer each other on and celebrate our steps toward fitness! If anyone happens upon this blog and is inspired to be more fit and healthy that is icing on the cake. So here we go!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Brooke- Inspired

Thank you for the post about Amanda! What an inspiration. I'm not sure how I would do 1200 calories a day with a family. She just had herself and her husband to "do food" for. I guess if I was truly ready I could do it. 

I have been wanting to post about a recent encounter with an inspiring woman. I was in church Sabbath of Mother's Day weekend and Pastor Dan was giving out flowers to the different women in church (who has the youngest baby, who has the most children, etc.) One of the things he mentioned was women who had run a marathon and a handful of women stood. Then he started whittling them down by age. The last woman standing was Gladys, age 92. I was awed!! She looked no older than in her early 70's to me. I was so impressed I came home and googled her. (My mother taught me that) The search came up with an article from KITV.com about the Honolulu Marathon in December 2010.
Gladys "Glady" Burrill, 92, the oldest woman to enter the Honolulu Marathon finished the race Sunday in 9 hours, 53 minutes and 16 seconds.

Read more: http://www.kitv.com/news/26112808/detail.html#ixzz1Mfz5i8mH
I think it's incredible! I want to look like that when I'm in my 90's! Just think how healthy her body is for her to be able to run a marathon at 92! Pure, delightful, inspiration!
I love to run and I have looked at the upcoming 5ks here in Medford and think I might just have to sign up for one and start training! Last summer I did the couch to 5k training program. I got up to 2.5miles. Garrett loves going with me in his stroller. He might just be a great running partner. I just have to figure out where to fit it in the schedule. Or invest in a double jogging stroller that I could take Chandlar in too and then we could run while Chad is asleep during the cooler part of the day. Might be a bit harder with summer coming and no school to occupy Emery's time. Any ideas?? The school has a track that I could run on and the boys could play in the middle in the grass. Running shoes would be a good investment as well. I purchased an inexpensive pair last summer but they were not great, gave me nasty blisters.
Katie, I know you have asked me to run at an event with you sometime in the future I would like to do that too.
So family what do you think?
Oh and points-  2 hours of exercise = 10 points  and 6 days of H2O= 6 so 16 for me this week
Running total =51 (I went back and totalled up the hours of exercise and water so Mom didn't have to)

2 comments:

  1. YES YES YES! I love it all! =) Running feels so good! I really haven't been doing it at all lately and I miss it. We should find a 10k or half marathon in the future to do! Either near you or me or somewhere in the middle would be fun. In the fall they have a women's race in San Francisco! What do you think?
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got back from a conference in Portland so have not been connected for the last couple of days. Love your post!! So inspirational - I would love to run too, but don't know if I could with my knees. I am also rather intrigued by the notion of getting RKC (Russian Kettlebell Certification).. Guess I actually have the swing the thing on a regular basis first.

    Anyway...running pushing both boys would be a great (?!) workout! Seems like it would build endurance really quickly. But the other option seems good too - with Emery being out of school. Would all the boys be okay at home while Chad was sleeping? Don't know how long running takes, but at first could you be ready to go as soon as he gets off work and he could wait to crash until you got back? Then do your longer runs on the weekend? Maybe a combination of all of these?

    Thanks so much for totaling your points!

    Love you! - Mom

    ReplyDelete